It’s Groundhog Day today! Will the groundhog see his shadow? While groundhogs may not be the most accurate weather predictors, they are pretty cool animals. Here are 5 fun facts about groundhogs to celebrate Groundhog Day!
- Groundhogs are also called whistle pigs because they let out a shrill whistle when they sense danger.
- Groundhog burrows can be up to 20 m (66 ft.) long and contain many tunnels and chambers. They even have bathrooms!
- Groundhogs are true hibernators. In the winter, their heart rate slows from 80 beats per minute to 5. Their body temperature drops from 37°C to 3°C (99°F to 37°F). That’s barely above freezing!
- Groundhogs can climb trees! Sometimes they climb trees to reach apples or pawpaws (a kind of fruit).
- In the spring and summer, groundhogs eat at least half a kilogram (1 lb.) of vegetation per day! Luckily, they have teeth that never stop growing to keep up with the constant wear and tear.
Read our article about groundhogs for more cool facts about them!
The post 5 Cool Facts about Groundhogs for Groundhog Day! appeared first on Animal Fact Guide.