– 2 to 2 1/2 cups of self raising flour. This recipe can be made gluten free by using a gluten free flour, but we have found it can require a little extra depending on the mix used
– 3/4 cup cocoa
– 1 3/4 cups sugar
– The equivalent of 2 eggs using egg substitute. We use ‘Well and Good’ brand
– 1 cup of mashed banana and 1 banana to decorate the top of the cake
– 1 cup of soy milk, or other milk of your choice
– 1 cup water
– 1/2 cup vegetable or canola oil
– 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
– Combine all wet ingredients including the mashed banana and mix with an electric beater.
– Add the dry ingredients to the wet mix and continue to mix.
– Pour the batter into your cake tin. We used a large, flat tin (ours is 4.5 cm high) as the cake cooks more evenly and also more quickly.
– Cut the remaining banana and place rounds or strips onto the top of the batter. We sprinkled some granulated sugar over the top of the cake for added sweetness.
– Bake for approximately 40 to 50 minutes. Test the cake with a skewer, which should come out clean.