This is a delicious apple recipe which can be adapted to make a slice or muffins. You can also substitute the walnuts for almonds or white chocolate chips if you prefer.
– 1/2 cup of butter substitute (we used Nuttelex)
– 1 1/4 cups of white granulated sugar
– 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
– 1/2 teaspoon of salt
– The equivalent of 3 eggs made up using vegan egg replacer – we used the Orgran brand
– 3 cups of gluten free self raising flour
– 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon
– 1/2 to 1 cup of your favourite milk substitute – we used soy milk
– 2 cups of finely diced apples and an extra apple cut into quarters and then thin slices to decorate the top of the slice/muffins if desired
– 1/2 cup of walnuts, almonds or white chocolate chips with some extra to decorate
– Cream the butter substitute and the sugar.
– Add the egg replacer, vanilla and salt and mix.
– Sift in the flour and cinnamon and stir a little. Then add the soy milk and combine.
– Stir through the apples and nuts.
– Pour the batter into a large slice tray – the slice will rise – or muffin pans.
– The top of the batter can be decorated with apple slices and nuts. For a more indulgent touch, sprinkle over more granulated sugar (approximately 1/4 of a cup), shake over extra cinnamon, and break up some small pieces of butter substitute over the slice/muffins.
– The muffins will take around 30 minutes to bake, the slice may take up to 50 minutes, depending on the size of the tray used.