July 23, 2023, 2:30 AM HST
And the public has spoken. In Big Island Now’s latest poll, the favorite animals at Pana‘ewa Rainforest Zoo in Hilo are the Bengal tigers, Sriracha and Tzatziki.
Despite some rain, the duo celebrated their eighth birthdays with hundreds of zoo patrons on Saturday during “Tiger Fun Day.”
Sriracha and Tzatziki captured 41% of the 538 votes.
One person commented they preferred the white tiger, Tzatziki.
Coming in second in the poll was Penny-Ante, a giant anteater, with 11%.
One Facebook user didnʻt choose any of the 10 options, instead writing in: “Swanie the black swan!”
The poll also revealed that Jake, the red-tail boa, was the least favorite zoo resident, securing only 15 votes (2%).
One Facebook user said they’d love to see the Axis Deer and moufalon at the zoo again, and another person wrote none of the animals, writing: “Zoos should be illegal.”
- Sriracha and Tzatziki, Bengal Tigers: 224 (41%)
- Penny-Ante, giant anteater: 61 (11%)
- Makani, ‘Io (Hawaiian hawk): 57 (10%)
- Rowdy, Hyacinth Macaw: 49 (9%)
- Kiba, male Capuchin Monkey: 35 (6%)
- Keoki Ann, Binturong: 32 (5%)
- Poison Dart Frogs: 31 (5%)
- Lilo, American Alligator: 23 (4%)
- Lyman, Red-Masked Conure: 11 (2%)
- Jake, Red-Tailed Boa: 15 (2%)
Total Votes: 538