Position: Manager of Rescue & Adoption Center
Location: Animal Place’s Rescue & Adoption Center, Petaluma, CA
About Animal Place: We are an animal rights organization promoting the protection of farmed animals and a vegan lifestyle. Our main sanctuary is in Grass Valley, CA. The Rescue & Adoption Center is in Petaluma, CA. At our Adoption Center we care for adoptable farmed animals, with a special emphasis on chickens from the egg industry. We started large-scale hen rescues in 2010. Since then, we have saved more than 30,000 animals; Most are hens rescued from egg farms but we also have saved turkeys, sheep, goats, llamas, and pigs.
If you are unfamiliar with Animal Place, please visit our website before applying at www.animalplace.org
Job Title: Manager of Rescue & Adoption Center
Supervisor: Animal Care Director, Hannah Beins (Grass Valley)
Is this your dream job? Answer the questions below to find out!
- Do you love being around animals?
- Do you want to make a difference in this world by helping rescued animals find their forever homes?
- Do you like working outside but also balanced with indoor work?
- Do you enjoy speaking with the public?
- If you answered yes to all, continue on and learn more about the job!
Job Description: Oversee the care of rescued animals including up to 1,500 rescued hens at a time. There are employees, volunteers and interns to supervise and adopters and donors to engage with. Additionally, the manager is responsible for ensuring the beautiful 12-acre property is well-maintained and managed.
Note: A one-month paid training period at the Grass Valley sanctuary is required. We provide you with housing next door to the sanctuary.
What we are looking for in a candidate
– Someone who enjoys and is skilled in supervising staff and volunteers – it’s a must for this position!
– Have you worked with farmed animals before? Previous experience is preferred!
– Do you consider yourself outgoing, social, and do you enjoy working with others?
– Do you have excellent communication and conflict resolution skills?
– Do you like working both inside and outside?
– Are you able to work outdoors in all weather conditions?
– Can you lift up to 40 pounds and perform manual labor?
– Managing a sanctuary is fun but can you also follow instructions and meet deadlines?
– It goes without saying, but you must be committed to Animal Place’s mission.
– Do you have a driver’s license and good driving record? It’s required (subject to verification).
– Are you comfortable driving large vans and towing stock trailers?
– Last, but not least, practicing a vegan lifestyle on sanctuary grounds is required!
The Four Main Components of the job
- Animal Care
– Oversee and help with barn cleaning duties and maintaining sanctuary
– Train and supervise staff and volunteers
– Maintain daily animal health care and treatment records
– Schedule and supervise health checks, of rescued hens or other animals
– Transport animals to and from veterinary appointments
– Assist with rescues
– Cultivate relationship with farmers and coordinate the rescues
– Develop and maintain animal care schedules, adoptions, rescues with your boss
– Must be organized to keep up with a calendar of work for self and staff
– Work with Adoption Coordinator to schedule adoptions and aid adopters with the process
– How do you feel about education? Lead tours, volunteer orientations, and chicken care classes
– Set up veterinary visits, as needed
– Communicate with Grass Valley staff about health, adoption status, population
- Property Management
– Keep the sanctuary sparkling! Be proud of the beautiful property you work at
– Schedule regular maintenance and repairs for vehicles
- Live-In Responsibilities
– Must be flexible! Sometimes you have to work late-night shifts to keep animals safe
– Living onsite is awesome, but it does entail being on-call (onsite) a few days a week
Hours/Days: 40 hours/week, weekends and some holidays required. Days off are subject to change at any time.
Salary: 18-20$/hr DOE
Benefits: We have excellent health insurance that we pay 100% after 3-month probation. Two weeks vacation and six 6 paid holidays. You can join our 403(b) retirement plan and after one year Animal Place will match up to 3% of your salary. Oh, and a huge perk is free housing, including utilities. We welcome companion animals but, of course, subject to approval from the Animal Care Director.
Do You Want to Apply? Email us a cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Please allow 1-2 weeks for processing. Our apologies, but we cannot accept faxes.