Animal Place is a thriving non-profit dedicated to connecting people to farmed animals through sanctuary and advocacy. We are one of the oldest and largest sanctuaries for farmed animals in the country, providing safe haven to hundreds of rescued animals on 600-acres in Grass Valley, California and promoting veganism. Inviting people and organizations to rethink food choices is at the core of our advocacy and education programs.
We are seeking a Program Director dedicated to our mission of extending compassion to other animals. The Program Director reports directly to the Executive Director and works closely on programs with the Animal Care Director and Development Director.
The Program Director is responsible for overseeing, improving, and managing our advocacy and education programs. These include onsite events and tours, the volunteer & internship program, our national Food for Thought campaign, weekly email and quarterly print newsletters, as well as our advocacy campaigns.
This is a remote position and candidate is expected to live within 125 miles of the Grass Valley sanctuary. The general work week is M-F 8:30-5:30 pm. Some weekends may be needed.
This full-time position’s salary begins in the range of $65,000-$75,000.
Staff Supervision & Development
- Interviews, hires, trains and develops employees; plans, assigns, and directs work to ensure team is working effectively together; conducts performance appraisals; rewards and disciplines employees; addresses complaints and resolves problems
- Identify team and individual skills that further serve the mission of Animal Place and individual development
- Supervise: Food for Thought Manager, Humane Education Writer & Co-supervise Development & Event manager (event portion)
- Develop and implement onsite volunteer program for animal care and educational needs.
- Organize and schedule monthly volunteer work parties and consistent weekly animal care volunteers
- Grow the volunteer program and ensure volunteers feel appreciated and supported
- Develop volunteer trainings and schedules
Campaigns, Marketing, Events
- Oversee the national Food for Thought Campaign and our every-other month Compassion Campaign
- Oversee onsite tour and event program, as well as any digital/remote events
- Coordinate tour docent program
- Oversee the production of the print newsletter from content, copy editing, design, and print
- Work with staff to develop content, edit and monitor the effectiveness of weekly email communication to supporters
- Develop annual calendar, timeline, and budget for in person & virtual events
- Research virtual and in-person speaking opportunities
- The Program Director reports directly to the Executive Director and is a key member of the senior leadership team working closely with the Development Director and Animal Care Director to support fundraising and volunteering opportunities and with the Finance Director on all budget issues
- A strong commitment to Animal Place’s mission of veganism and animal rights
- Three or more years of experience in management
- Nonprofit experience preferred
- Strong leadership skills and ability to effectively lead program staff to create a cohesive and positive work environment
- Team player and interested in working collaboratively
- Ability to strategize, problem solve and take initiative
- Proven organizational skills and attention to detail
- Able to meet deadlines and balance multiple projects
- Comfortable learning Salesforce, Classy, and Pardot
- Experience with Google Suite
- Extensive familiarity with farmed animal issues and veganism
- Public speaking skills preferred
Salary: Starting $65,000-75,000
Benefits: Health insurance after 90-day employment, 403b (Animal Place matches 3% after one year), vacation, holiday and sick time package.
Location: Grass Valley, California (can work remote 2-3 days a week)
How to Apply: Send cover letter, resume, and 3 professional references to [email protected] with Program Director in the subject line
Equal opportunity Employer: Animal Place is fully committed to equal employment opportunity, and company policy prohibits unlawful discrimination based on race, color, creed, sex, gender, religion, registered domestic partner status, sexual orientation, marital status, age, national origin, medical condition, ancestry, or any other consideration made unlawful by federal, state, or local laws.